BEEF RAGU WITH POLENTA CAKES - DOLAN AND ALI MARIE GEIMAN
Artist Contributor: Dolan & Ali Marie Geiman
Beef Ragu with Polenta Cakes
During our little sabbatical from art fair travel, we launched a recipe share with a few friends & family members interested in clean cooking. The enclosed shot is from Denver-based fitness & nutrition expert Jillian Keaveny (https://www.jilliankeaveny.com/ ) that made the following dish we posted to our shared recipe box.
- 2-3 lb beef brisket
- 1 yellow onion
- 2-3 garlic cloves
- 1 cup beef bone broth
- 3-4 14.5 oz cans of peeled tomatoes (or 2 28-oz cans of whole tomatoes)
- 3 heaping tbs tomato paste
- 1 tsp basil
- 1 tsp oregano
- 2-3 bay leaves
- kosher salt
- 1/2 cup red wine
- fresh basil
- Pat brisket with paper towel. Generously cover in kosher salt + pepper. (Optional: add some smoked paprika + cayenne if you're so inclined)
- Heat avocado oil or ghee. Brown brisket on all sides
- Thinly slice onions and line bottom of crock pot. Place brisket on top of onions. Add some diced onion + garlic and work into brisket.
- Cover with a beef bone broth. Cook on high 4 hours. Pause, drain off broth + fat from crock pot.
- Empty tomatoes into large bowl and break down with hands. Pour tomatoes into crock pot.
- Add tomato paste, basil, oregano, bay leaves, red wine. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook on high for another 4-5 hours. It takes ~ 8 hours to break down the brisket enough to shred.
- Use 2 forks to shred the brisket on cutting board.
- Serve shredded brisket with tomato sauce over pan-fried polenta cakes and top with fresh basil. (Optional: add fresh Parmesan)
- Served with grilled broccolini + arugula salad.
Check out Dolan's Work HERE